Re: Nitrates vs. DOCs

The only simple way (without laboratory analyses) that I know of is to put a
specific amount of dye (food coloring) into a tank and determine the time it take
the carbon to strip it out. Time fresh carbon first as a reference standard. Once
it takes the carbon 3 or 4 X the length of time of your reference it's time to
change it. Carbon is fairly inexpensive. Why not just change it on a weekly or
biweekly schedule?

Mike Wise