Mysterious borellii deaths

Yea, you're back. This is my first posting, and I hope my question is
not to
"newby-ish" for the list. I certainly have enjoyed the discussions I
have followed.
I will gratefully accept advice via email so as not to clutter the list.

I know that there has been much discussion of parasites on the list, and

I wonder if that is my situation. I had an A.borellii in a ten gallon
tank with several serpae tetras, two corys, an otto, and an SAE (I know
that the stocking of this tank is less than ideal for apistos to breed).

Heavily planted, pH 6.6 and stable,  4 dkH, 8dGH (this last seems quite
higher than it was in the past when I just tested it). I had added a
female A.borellii  two months ago. She remained listless for a week and
then died. Assuming that she succumbed to internal parasites, I waited
awhile to be sure the male was not affected, and then added another
female that I had obtained from another very reliable source one month
ago. She did better. Not very active, tended to hide in the plants near
the surface, eating sparingly. Last week, since I was away, I left the
care to another, who fed the fish every third day or so with blood
worms. The day after I returned (five days ago) the female died. Then
yesterday the male died. No previous signs of illness. Male was eating
voraciously even the night before he died. Only change in tank regimen
was adding five drops of Kent freshwater plant fertilizer daily, started

a couple of days before the male died. I use WOW South American
treatment to pre-treat my water before changes as well as peat in the
filters. So is this consistent with internal parasites? If so, need I do

anything before I add any other apistos to the tank (i.e. can parasites,
if
that is the problem, remain dormant in the water until a new host is
introduced)?
These are the first deaths or illnesses of any kind that I have had in
this long established
tank.

-Dan