Re: Immaculate conception

Matthew Diller wrote:

> I came home last night to find that my female taenatus is guarding a bunch of eggs.  The only problem is that there is no male in the tank.
>
>    Unusual?  harmful in any way?
>
> I assume that she will eventually eat the eggs.  I feel badly for her though.

I've had some Apisto-females do this as well and I think it's
quite natural. The eggs get old if the females keeps them
for too long so she needs to get them out to produce fresh
ones. It's her instinct to guard eggs that are laid, just as it
is to eat them if they fail to develop/hatch. It is very funny
to watch how unaware she seems of her losing position.

Regards
Fredrik L.