Re: Is this possible?

Andy writes:

> I was wondering if you could help me with my planted 55 gallon tank.  My
goal

>  is to have a tank where apistos can spawn and thrive using lots of plants
> and
>  tap water ( I live in a Manhatten apartment and water storage/RO water is
>  problem).  My water is pretty good (6.5 ph and 3-4 gh). I have spawned A.
>  Cacataudes successfully.  Right now in my 55 I have lots of Amazon swords
> and
>  some stem plants, driftwood and a few flowerpots for caves .  Inhabitants
>  include a trio of A. Trifasciata and three small cories and ten rummynose
>  tetras.
>  Filtration is an eheim cannister filter. Any suggestions as to how to get
>  these fish to spawn or what apistos (and how many ) would work for what I
am

>  trying to do would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Your water sounds good, and a number of Apistos will spawn in that pH and GH
range.  The corys may eat your spawns, though.  The only other significant
parameters you haven't mentioned are temperature and feeding regimen.  I
would keep the tank around 79F and include quality foods such as frozen/live
brine, daphnia, misquito larvae, etc as a significant portion of the diet.
Some "clumpy" plants, like java moss, will provide a place for infusoria to
grow, which will help your fry for the first few days after free-swimming.
Feeding fry in  large tank is always a challenge, so you need to find a way
to deliver the food to the flock.

Also, if your fish are reluctant to spawn, hanging a bag (old nylon sock) if
sphagnum peat will probably help.

Bob Dixon