Re: Oak Leaves ?

I thought I remember reading something somewhere about the reason people
use Oak leaves is that they leach off tanic acids into the tank which
naturally lowers the pH of the water.  I heard this was done with some
fish that needed much softer acidic water than other species.   I have a
friend who uses the Oak leaves in most of his spawning tanks for his
dwarf cichlids.   His water isn't as soft as mine but he ends up with
good success using his methods.  He also collects rain water to use in
some of his tanks.   He swears by it.

John