Re: Oak Leaves ?

John Wubbolt writes:

> I thought I remember reading something somewhere about the reason people
>  use Oak leaves is that they leach off tanic acids into the tank which
>  naturally lowers the pH of the water.  I heard this was done with some
>  fish that needed much softer acidic water than other species.<<snip>

If you ever get to go collecting in September or October, you will see that
dwarf cichlids live in the leaf litter at this time of the year, and this
seems to be when they prefer to spawn.  The leaves not only reduce pH, they
also provide the fish with what their instincts tell them they want.

Bob Dixon