Unfed fry

A few weeks ago I received advice from the list on how to artificially hatch
a clutch of nijsenni fry.  Thank you all for your input.
I have been feeding the fry microworms and frozen bbs. I also did a partial
water change everyday.  Thankfully this has been the largest fry survival
rate ever.
In the 2.5 gallon tank there was a large piece of bogwood with java moss
attached that made it difficult to clean the debris from the bottom of the
tank.  I removed it and put it directly in a tank that had been filled with
plants and a sponge.  This tank has been running empty for three weeks.
Tonight I noticed movement in that tank.  There were 3 fry in the tank!
They must have been on the bogwood caught in the moss.  These fry were three
times the size of the fry that I had been wetnursing.
Why have these fry done so well being fed nothing?
Should I now put the other fry in this tank and not feed them?
Sorry for going on and on, but I wanted to paint the whole picture.  Your
advice is greatly appreciated.

Francine in MD
Fish - photography - genealogy