Re: Unfed fry

In a message dated 7/23/1999 6:20:08 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
francinebethea@excite.com writes:

> A few weeks ago I received advice from the list on how to artificially hatch
>  a clutch of nijsenni fry.  Thank you all for your input.
>  I have been feeding the fry microworms and frozen bbs. I also did a partial
>  water change everyday.  Thankfully this has been the largest fry survival
>  rate ever.
>  In the 2.5 gallon tank there was a large piece of bogwood with java moss
>  attached that made it difficult to clean the debris from the bottom of the
>  tank.  I removed it and put it directly in a tank that had been filled with
>  plants and a sponge.  This tank has been running empty for three weeks.
>  Tonight I noticed movement in that tank.  There were 3 fry in the tank!
>  They must have been on the bogwood caught in the moss.  These fry were
three
>  times the size of the fry that I had been wetnursing.
>  Why have these fry done so well being fed nothing?
>  Should I now put the other fry in this tank and not feed them?
>  Sorry for going on and on, but I wanted to paint the whole picture.  Your
>  advice is greatly appreciated.

These fry have not gone unfed.  Between the java moss and the sponge filter,
they have found lots of stuff to eat.  Their little eyes are smaller than
yours so they can see the infusoria hanging out in the moss better than you
can.  They have had a varied supply of live foods.  They also have probably
had lower levels of nitrates and DOCs, being only three of them.  They are
probably ready to recieve bigger foods by now.

My best fry survival comes when the tank they are hatched in is loaded with
slimy globby hairy algae.  The micro-goodies in these environments provide
better for the fry than I can even with BBS.  I don't hatch BBS or feed these
fry for about five days.

Bob Dixon