Re: Oak Leaves ?

>From what I understand, the leaves of Ficus (fig) trees
contain a latex like sap that is toxic to fish. They are,
however, one of the most common group of trees in the
tropics and much of the leaf litter found in tropical
streams is made from Ficus leaves. There isn't any problem
in Nature because of the continuous flow of fresh water.
Unless you do a LOT of water changes, I'd suggest you look
elsewhere.

On a side note, the reason for people recommending oak and
beech leaves is because they normally come for areas with
acid soil conditions (where their leaves tend to acidify the
soil). European aquarists prefer beech leaves because they
look more like the tropical tree leaves. North American
aquarists prefer oak leaves because North America doesn't
have many beech trees.

Mike Wise