Thayeri and Dorserger

I've had a fair degree of succes at picking pairs (maile and female) of fish
from  a tank.  A person who used to work in a LFS once told me how to sex
Neolamprologus Leleupi.  He said you kind of look thme in the face and see
which is more masculine-looking.  Actually, for fish that are difficult to
sex, like discus, angels, Lake Tanganyikan Cichlids, and Curviceps, the
males often have bigger heads.  If you look at the fish head-on, mature
males may have broader foreheads. Looking at mature fish from the side, the
height of the head just in front of the gill covers may be "taller" in the
male fish.  Another factor to look at is the body proportions--males seem to
have a greater length to height ratio than females.  These methods are
somewhat subjective and work much better with older fish that are brought up
under the same conditions so you know that feeding, age, and environmental
differences did not contribute to the differences in the fish's appearance.
If you take a look at pictures of breeding pairs of discus and other
difficult to sex fish, you will probably see what I'm talking about.