Re: Dried Leaves

Edison C. Yap wrote:

> I have an Avocado Tree with very broad leaves and some coconut tree.  I
> want to give these leaves a try, could anyone help me on how to check if
> these leaves are good for fishes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Edison

Edison,
I'd do a little research, maybe by contacting a local botanist or
experienced garden maniac. I use oak leaves not for decoration (they
break down after a short period of rich brown beauty) but because they
are high in tannins. Just leaves would be pretty worthless. As well, I
only use dead leaves. I may 'kill' them by picking them off the tree
when they are about to fall, but I don't touch them until they are
crispy.
There are many other leaves I could use, but they wouldn't serve the
precise function I believe I'm serving with the oaks. The leaves
themselves are mildly decorative, but the oak leaves give the water a
rich coloration with a clarity and brightness that peat doesn't do with
my water. The fish like the leaves, and I like what the tannin rich
leaves do. If I were trying this in an environment without oaks or
beeches, I'd look for a tree with similar chemical properties.
-Gary