Re: Oak Leaves ?

Andrew writes:

> The oak leaf postings interest me - I realized people used them as a more
>  'naturalistic' hiding place for apistos, but I didn't know it was a
>  preferred method of lowering pH. Is this true, or is peat still
>  predominantly used? Or both? Neither?
>   I'm considering switching to oak leaves, next season, as my water is
>  pretty dark and gloomy from peat treatment. (ok ok, I need more light
>  too...I'm still figuring out the cheapest way to do that one...)

Oak/beech leaves are becoming more popular as the word gets around.  But they
still darken the water.  If you want to get rid of the dark coloration, I
suggest you fill a box filter with activated carbon, and slip it into the
tank.  It wil clear it up for you nicely.

As for the popularity of peat, it is simple, effective, and reliable.  Lots
of people are using it, including some small-operation discus breeders.  When
the size of the operation gets bigger, most folks find it more efficient to
use RO or DI.

Bob Dixon