Tank setups

I would like to hear from others on methods and sizes of tanks for breeding
and for housing fish.  I am not having problems with breeding.  I having
problems with space.

I have been using 20 gal tanks for breeding and housing my apistos.  This
method encourages my fish to continually spawn.   However, my Sunsets
spawned in a 10 gal, I had to remove the male to a 2.5 gal.

Are most people setting up tanks just for breeding?  Are most people using
10 gals?  So how are you keeping your fish when not breeding them?

Should I keep my pairs in alkaline water or keep them in separate tanks?

Please advise.

Francine in MD
Fish - photography - genealogy