Re: spawning?

Ed Pon writes:

> Andrew Faust wrote:
>  I have a question more about general genetics than about the 'parenting
>  >gene': have any of you observed occurrences of "unwanted" recessive
traits?
>  I asked as very similar question at the local Killifish club some years
ago
>  and the answer from people at the meeting was that many people have kept
>  strains going for many generations and found no problems with the
offspring.

If a recessive "undesireable gene is present in the original pair, it will
show within a few generations of inbreeding.  If it has not shown after that
time, it's a safe bet it's not there.  After that, it would require a genuine
mutation to cause a problem, and that genuine mutation would have to occur in
the repoductive organs of the fish.  The vast majority of such mutations lead
to fish that don't survive to reproduce.  The percentage of mutations that
occur and produce viable fish in the next generation is miniscule.
Split-tail bettas are an example.  If you cross a split-tail with a
normal-tail, you will get a 50/50 mix of normal and split-tails.  Breed two
split-tails together, and you get 25% normal, 50% split-tails and 25% that
never hatch.  The ones with two split-tail genes can't survive.

Similar things occur with the vast majority of mutations.  They are fatal
either recessively, domimantly, or co-dominantly.  On the other hand, most of
the ugly things goldfish fanciers keep in ther tanks and ponds are the result
of mutations that in the wild would never survive.

There are a number of genetic mutations in the hobby that affect color or
finnage.  But we tend to call those "sports" rather than mutations.

Bob Dixon