Re: spawning?

Dr. Kadar touches the point, in my opinion.
I maintain a pond (2000 gal, 10-25 inches deep, heavily planted) with
nigrofasciatus, rams, black and serpae tetras, corys, and guppies.
They all live and breed well in the pond. In summer days I spend hours
observing the rams caring their nests and fry. The same with the nigros
in
late summer/autum.
The female ram guard the fry while the male is ever a little apart from
his
family, attacking any other fish that approaches (even the much bigger
nigros).
With both cichlids, only the dominants pairs will ever attempt to breed,
the
others can guard a small space as their territory but if this isn't
large
enough, will seem satisfyied with it.
In relation to predation, it seem that bird predation (bem-te-vi,
Pitangus
sulphuratus) is more a trait to the rams than the nigros. These appeared
get enough from the guppies and insects that fall in the water.
Zeco (Brazil)