Re: RE: Floor load capacities

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:08:05 -0700, Andrew Faust wrote:

Now I'm really scared.

I am in the process of building a tank stand out of 4 x 4's for the 30 gal
and the 20 gal long.  I'll bring those two tanks to work.  Right now they
are on one of those wrought iron stands.  The other tanks, 2 20 gals and 2
10 gals, are on wrought iron stands, but they are each sitting on a sheet of
plywood.
I wish I didn't have to do this.
I talked to an architect who said that it would cost me $500 just to take
measurements and another $500 for an engineer.
All of this limits my breeding stock and raising fry.  My club is having a
big auction in November.  Hopefully, the floor lasts until then.

> ...uh, like I said I was tired when I wrote that message - the final
number
> should actually be 1704 p.s.f. because 21 sq. in. = 0.146 sq. ft.
> 	So it's even worse. If you have a wood floor, don't support your
> stands with thin legs; use a plywood or 2x4 'sill plate' to distribute
the
> load.
>
> -andrew

Francine in MD