Re: German books WAS: spawning?

V Kutty wrote:

> Mike Wise:
> >I'd bet that it won't be out until the Spring of 2000. BTW, Uwe told me
> that the
> >German 1st edition is now sold out and that he will have a 2nd revised
> German
> >edition out about the same time as the English edition.
>
> Dang! That's impressive!  How many issues/units were in the first edition?

I don't really know, but would bet about 5-10,000 copies in the first printing. I
imagine nearly every German speaking dwarf cichlid hobbyist snagged a copy as
well as hobbyists who consider it part of the Baensch Atlas series (which it is -
sort of) and want a complete set. Add to this foreign hobbyist like us and
5-10,000 copies can go real fast. I bet that there are still a lot of copies
still for sale, warehoused by German wholesalers. It's the publisher who is out
of copies.

> Is there a lot of revising to do and how much new info do you think the new
> edition will contain?

I was wrong about mentioning the 2d edition. I meant to say 2d printing. I
imagine that the 2nd printing, due out as soon a possible (this winter or next
spring), will not have any changes. Uwe (or was it David Soares, I forget which)
told me that a 2nd edition is being worked on right now  with more species in it.
It will also contain a species/subject index, missing in the first edition.
Hopefully some of the erroneous identifications will be changed, too. The second
edition won't be out (in German) for at least another 2 years.

>  Mike Schadle was supposed to get a box of the first
> edition for the Detroit convention but the shipment was late by a day or
> two.  I guess there is not a very big demand for cichlid books on this side
> of the Atlantic.

Not like in Germany, where they read more, and definitely not books written in
German. (Vinny, have you tried to talk Frank W. into buying and mailing a copy to
you?)

> I asked Wayne Leibel which edition his Tetra Fishkeepers
> Guide book is at and he laughed SO hard!

Only in America, sigh.

> >Linke & Staeck's
> >6th revised edition (in German only) has been completely revamped from what
> the
> >English edition (= German 4th rev. ed.) is, with several new species and
> more
> >up-to-date information.
>
> Is it available anywhere?

Yes, all over Germany. You might try online at Amazon.com's German web site.

Mike Wise