From: <IDMiamiBob@aol.com>
To: <apisto@admin.listbox.com>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 11:55 PM
Subject: Re: Typical M. Ramirezi & Gold Ram

: Sherry writes:
:
: > I saw some Rams (M. Ramirezi) at my LFS today. I asked the salesperson
: >  bag up four of them for me. Once I got home, I realized I had gotten
only
: >  three regular Rams, and one Gold Ram. My questions are:
: >           Will the two types inter-breed?
:
: Yes
:
:  Am I right in assuming the Gold Ram
: >  is just a color variation?
:
: Yes.  It is a captive bred variation that does not occur in the wild, or
at
: least does not survive in the wild.
:
: >       Is it acceptable to cross breed these two types?
:
: Depends on who you ask, but generally, yes.
:
: > Will it lead to a
: >  weakened coloration of the regular type of Rams in the fry?
:
: Depending on the dominance issues of the color genes the first generation
: will be either all blue or all gold.  I would suspect all blue.  Breeding
of
: siblings should give a 75/25 ratio.
:
: >  I hate to have to bag the Gold Ram up and take it back to the store if
: >  don't have too. Please advise.
:
: Considering that 99% of the gold rams in the LFSs are from Asia, you can
bet
: it is a male.  The best way to succeed in breeding the golds is by
crossing
: with a wild form (blue), and then breeding back to get the gold.  Do as
you
: like.  If someone has a problem with it, tell him/her where to get off.
They
: are the same species, and the gold has no wild population purity to
protect.
:
: Bob Dixon
:
:
: For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
: email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Archives"!
: