Re: My Bolivian rams spawned!!!

Leah,

I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion here on the generic (genus) name of
the Rams. Right now Microgeophagus Axelrod, 1971 is the name accepted by most
taxonomists. Mayland & Bork agree with Géry and use Microgeophagus Frey, 1957 in
their book. There is a question on whether this name is a "nomen nudem" or not.
Römer's new book goes along with Kullander's contention that the name
Mikrogeophagus (with a "k") Meulengracht-Madsen, 1968 is the oldest valid name
and should be used for the genus. Time (maybe) will tell.

Your Bolivian Rams were originally called Crenicara altispinosa Haseman, 1911.
They then were moved to the genus Papiliochromis by Kullander in 1981 and called
Papiliochromis altispinosa (Haseman, 1911). This paper was published in the
German Cichlid Association's journal, DCG-Informationen, in Kullander's original
English text next to a German translation. The German translation got some key
phrases mixed up and this led to a lot of people in the mid-1980's thinking that
(domestic developed) German Rams were actually Bolivian Rams. This was before the
true Bolivian Ram was introduced into the hobby. Now the Bolivian Ram is called
Microgeophagus altispinosus (Haseman, 1911) (note the masculine suffix) by most
taxonomists, but it could turn out to be Mikrogeophagus altispinosus (Haseman,
1911). To misquote Shakespeare, Ah, what's in a name! A Ram is a Ram.

Mike Wise

Mike Wise