Re: A. sp (red-wedged) fry tank question

Dan writes:

> I posted an earlier question about serpae tetras in a ten gallon tank
>  with a pair of A. sp. rotkeil (sam as uaupesi?). For now the serpai
>  tetras appear to pose no threat, as the female Apisto herds the fry near
>  the bottom rear and midle of the tank, and both the mom and pop Apisot
>  keep the tetras in a tight shoal near the top front of the tank.
>  However, I still am curious whether folks feel the tetras will pose a
>  future threat.

Ten gallons is a smallish tank for breeding.  Keeping dithers in a tank of
this size is asking for trouble.  At some point the bioload will override the
filtration.

>  My next question has to do with water changes. I normally change about
>  40% of the water in the tank once a week. It is fairly heavily planted
>  and heavily filtered with two power filters (a smallish Penguin bio
>  wheel and a small Aquaclear); both have sponge over the intakes... so
>  needn't worry about youngins' being sucked up.  Should I keep to this
>  water change regimen or should I do more frequent, smaller water changes
>  (say 10% every two or so days)?

Smaller changes will provide a more stable environment.  While apistos are
pretty rugged under the changes in water parameters, smaller, more frequewnt
changes would be better.

>I sure would appreciate any advice. I do
>  not have a seperate grow-out tank for the fry.

Okay-  here's my advice:
IMHO, you will start to lose fry as the bioload exceeds the ability of these
filters to keep up.  You may be able to keep nitrogenous stuff like nitrates
and ammonia down with the plants and heavy fitration, but dissolved organics
will get nasty, even with water changes.

I'd advise you start saving your shekels for that second tank that you are
going to need.

Bob