Re: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

----- Original Message -----
From: <rebecca.schneider@amd.com>
To: <apisto@admin.listbox.com>
Cc: <sherryb@hpcisp.com>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 9:34 PM
Subject: RE: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

: Sherry, I'm sorry to hear about your rams.  They are my favorite fish,
too,
: although I've killed quite a few.  I wish I could help you with advice.
The
: only thing I'm wondering is if you should have spent 45 min. acclimating.
: don't know how accurate this is, but I understood that fish should be
netted
: from shipping bags and placed directly into the tank without waiting, to
: prevent the pH from dropping when the bag is opened and increasing shock.

I wish I could have just put them directly into the tank, but I tested the
bag water immediately on opening it, and with it being so much lower PH than
mine, I was afraid that the difference would be too much for them. Also, the
fish were in a fairly large bag, and had been shipped probably less than a
hundred miles. So, I really feel that the PH in the bag hadn't had much time
to change so drastically.

: Didn't you say you picked the fish up from the LFS in the original
shipping
: bag? Rather than a bag of tank water?

Yes

Did they tell you how they do it?

No, they hadn't said a word about it. The lady knew that I have kept African
Cichlids and Saltwater fish for a long time, and probably didn't feel that
she had to.

: I'm sure many of the list members are familiar with shipping fish, please
: respond and tell me if I'm right, why this would be, or if I just fell out
: of a tree.
:
: The only treatment I've used for Ick is Quick Cure (I think its malachite
: green in solution).  It worked fine for our fish.  My LFS especially likes
: Mardel products, so I'd try that, too.
:
The Ich Guard contains what they call "victoria green". I'm not sure if this
is the same thing or not. I've had good luck with other Jungle products
though, so I felt I could count on this stuff. The problem is most likely
that it took me so long to spot the ich, as the Ram's hid a lot, and the
Danios showed no outward signs other than the spots. As the Danios move so
fast, it was hard to spot on them until it was well advanced.

: Better luck next time around, Sherry!
:
Thanks, I'll probably need all the luck I can get! :)

Sherry

: Becky
: