Re: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Olson <olson7@hotmail.com>
To: <apisto@majordomo.pobox.com>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: Blue Ram deaths, Suggestions?

:
: >I've posted about my six rams that had come down with ich right after I
had
: >gotten them. This was a couple of weeks ago. Well, the last one died a
: >couple of days ago, just when I thought he had pretty well recovered. All
: >of
: >the rest of them had died either covered with ich, or else displaying all
: >the symptoms of ich without showing any spots.
: >
: >This last one had been covered with ich, but had recovered to the point
: >where he had only a few spots left when I started noticing a place across
: >the top of his head. The place looked as though something had been
chewing
: >on him, with scales missing and a actual hole forming in his head. The
spot
: >grew bigger within a couple days time and he died.
:
: Sherry,
:
: This sounds exactly like hole-in-the-head disease, or hexamita.  It is
: treatable - as always, the earlier the better.

That was what I had thought of upon first noticing the wound, but I thought
that Hexamita was a lot slower disease. From the first sign of the wound to
the time of death was only about four days. By the time I realized that it
wasn't just an injury, it was only a day later that he died.

I can't remember the names,
: off hand, of the medications that are effective, but it runs in my mind
that
: 'Clout' works pretty well.  It also runs in my mind that this is a disease
: caused by a protozoa, rather than a bacteria.
:

If I had realized the problem in time, could the Clout or similar medicines
have been used in combination with the Ich medicine?

: At any rate, don't give up on the rams, they're well worth the effort!
With
: Rams, it's always better to work with wild stock, if available.  Most of
the
: Ramirezi available from LFS are raised in Singapore, or elsewhere in Asia,
: they are inbred, fed hormones to enhance color, and very often die early.
:
I'm not sure whether these were wild or tank raised. I do know that it took
at least six weeks to get them from the time that they were ordered. The
supplier refused to ship once due to the fact that the only ones they had at
the time had Ich! I said "Thank you" with a big smile. :) Little did I
know....

: One thing, too, about rams is that they like warm water, which ich doesn't
: like!  A good temperature range for Rams is 80 to 85 farenheit, and the
5.0
: ph in the fish bag is not too acidic for Rams!
:
My tank was set to 82 F.

: Good luck!
: