Re: 'bullnoses' and other questions

Scot,

On the first question, I have no idea what causes this bull nose problem. I have
some A. sp. aff. meinkeni that were wild caught fish that have this symptom so it
isn't restricted to domestic fish. These fish are well over 2 years old and still
going strong so it doesn't seem to bother them.

On the second question, A. borellii was named by Regan in honor of Dr. A.
Borelli, who discovered the species. A. agassizii is named for the J. Louis R.
Agassiz, the geologist/biologist on the Thayer Expedition to the Amazon in
1865-66. I don't know why Steindachner, who described the species, spelled it
with 2 "i"s but he did. As. Fredrik wrote, it doesn't matter if the species name
is misspelled. Once it's published it stays that way. This kind of error is still
going on. Römer named a fish for Chico Mendes. The publisher, however, misspelled
the name with a "z" instead of an "s". Uwe didn't catch the error in the galley
proof, so now the name is A. mendezi instead of "A. mendesi" If you consider that
A. panduro was named for both J. V. Panduro Pinedo and N. J. L Panduro Pinedo,
the name of the fish should be "A. pandurorum", the possessive (genitive) plural
ending in Latin. Even the name of A. atahualpa might be more correct as "A.
atahualpai" or "A. atahualpi" or even "A. atahualpae" (Since the name ends in "a"
(a feminine suffix in Latin) some say the name is feminine and should have a
feminine possessive suffix - but don't let the Inca know or he would come out and
haunt us!) So it really doesn't matter if the name is spelled correctly or not.
What is important is that the name is consistantly spelled the same way all of
the time.

Mike Wise