Re: peat moss

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> I am contemplating setting up a tank with a UGF covered by an inch of gravel,
> then some peat, then more gravel and/or sand.   Keeping the layers layereed
> may turn out to be a trick.

I would think that gravel cleaning would mix the layers. Of course you could
separate the layers with some sort of fiberglass screening. My only question is do
you have to tear down the upper gravel and plants every time your peat stops
working? I don't see how you can get away from this.

> I've been thinking about tank depth.  Collectors report that Apistos spawn in
> 4-6" of water in the wild.  Our 10-20 gallon tanks are anywhere from 10-12
> inches above the substrate.  Any one here ever experiment to see if raising
> the substrate/lowering the water level will improve the willingness of
> Apistos to spawn or brood care?  My next tank set-up may be influenced by
> your results.

One of my favorite breeding tanks for pairs and trios of small smaller species are
some hamster tanks (16x18x10"h / 40x45x25cm h). I keep 1 - 2" of coarse sand in
the bottom. I've never had problems breeding fish in these.

Mike Wise