Re: A. nijsenni breeding revisited

A quick, cheap and easy way to darken your substrate is to buy a small bag
of the black aquarium gravel that every pet store sells.  Then just sprinkle
it on top of the existing substrate.  You don't even need to cover the
entire surface.  It's surprising how little of the black gravel is required
to have a significant effect on the appearance and effectiveness of the
substrate.  It's also surprising how natural the black pebbles look lying on
the lighter, pre-existing substrate.

I agree 100% with Bob - when it comes to dwarf cichlids, the blacker the
substrate the better!..It might seem like a small thing, but a darker
substrate, for some reason, makes the fish show better, makes them more
confident, and, I'm convinced, can thus help lead to successful spawning.

Regards,

Scott