Re: Dumb Luck

Paul Evans wrote:

> John,
>
> interesting.  From what I have read P. taeniatus the
> high pH swings the bias toward female but 6.2 being
> the equilibrium but I could be wrong.  Anyway, what I
> should have asked is with my high pH the sex ratio
> will be biased one way or the other.  Is it too late
> to influence this by adjusting (slowly) the pH?  Or is
> there a window after the hatch like apistos where the
> sex ratio can be influenced by environmental
> parameters?
>
> Paul

I kept taeniatus Moliwe for a few generations. I suspect temperature is
a key with the fish, more than pH. I got close to 50/50 at 26C, pH 6.8.
I'd suspect things to be very similar to the apisto studies. I don't
have my notes at hand (they're in a crashed 286 computer in the
basement) but it seems to me that at lower temps, I got up to 70% males.
Moliwe is a weird taeniatus though. It's fairly forgiving compared to
some other populations.
Gary