Re: peat moss

In a message dated 10/27/1999 8:13:32 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
apistowise@bewellnet.com writes:

> > I am contemplating setting up a tank with a UGF covered by an inch of
> gravel,
>  > then some peat, then more gravel and/or sand.   Keeping the layers
> layereed
>  > may turn out to be a trick.
>
>  I would think that gravel cleaning would mix the layers. Of course you
could
>  separate the layers with some sort of fiberglass screening. My only
question
> is do
>  you have to tear down the upper gravel and plants every time your peat
stops
>  working? I don't see how you can get away from this.

I don't clean the gravel very much, and the upper layer would be fine enough
to keep mulm and stuff from sinking very far.  As for replacing the peat, I
knew there was a problem there.  Good point.  It was just an idea.  Perhaps I
could add a power or cannister filter and run the peat in there.  A small
amount of peat in the substrate, however, seems to be good for the plants.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com