Re: peat moss

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> This sounds like a neat idea.  Adapting it to Apistos means working in some
> way to create cave structures above the moss.  Perhaps this is where a good
> selection of aged driftwood might be useful.
>
> Bob Dixon

I've used dried sgaghnum extensively to maintain African characins. I've
had neolebias powelli and ansorgi in fair numbers coming out of a 15
gallon with 3-4 inches of the stuff. It turns water yellowish and
reduces hardness radically. It also breaks up quickly above 21-22
degrees. I wouldn't use it in a heated apisto tank. It's more for hiding
the small fry of continual spawners and letting them grow up in the
community. It's great for killies and characins, but I doubt if apistos
would be fun to keep in it. It would be messy.
Gary