deworming

Several people asked questions about levamisole, praziquantel and flubenol.
I apologize, but right now I do not have the time necessary to give a lot of

details. For flubenol and praziquatel, they are however available in the
paper on Discus diseases that I wrote, which is still largely valid for
Apistos. You can find it also at:
http://world.std.com/~enjolras/symtreat.htm

For levamisole, I do not have direct experience, but it is consistently
reported as very safe and effective for nematode infections by many
people on this and other lists. Ken Laidlaw from the UK was, as far
as I recall, the first to report its efficacy on this list, providing the
following advice:

Drug - Levacide (TM) = Levamisole Hydrochloride 7.5% concentration.
       Note: different concentrations can be used e.g. 1,5% just adjust
       quantity accordingly.

Dose - 1ml in 7.5litres of tank water.  First mix required quantity in
       luke warm water. Then pour into tank.
       After 24 hours perform 100% water change if possible.
       Treat all tanks and fish not just those showing signs of
       infestation.

The amount available from farm suppliers (usually 0.5l) is obviously
enough to treat 3750l (approx 900 gallons) so it is quite affordable.
This amount cost $18UK = $25US.  If you have given fish to friends you
could also treat there tanks.

NOTE: LEVAMISOLE 7.5% = 7.5G / 100 ML

TARGET CONCENTRATION IN AQUARIUM WATER: 10 MG/L

Flubenol is in theory an excellent drug for nematode infections, but not
all strains respond to treatment, and cases of failure are reported. Same
thing (unfortunately) for flukes. It may be due to the fact that it should
be
administered with a chemical that enhances its absorption. This chemical
is however very dangerous to handle, and most people do not use it. So
the drug may simply be too unsoluble to be affective by itself.

For signs and syptoms of the verious diseases, the best thing to do is
to buy and carefully read one of the books on fish diseases for hobby
use (see bibliography at the end of my little paper).

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.