Re: quiet times

Hello Mike
After about 8 months of growing out some wild caught Apisto Bitaeniata
they did spawn for me. I have a rather unusual group of 1 male and 7
females.    Well after they spawned the one female was doing all the
work, guarding the eggs and fanning them for 2 days when I thought they
should hatch.   I did get wigglers and she moved them from where she had
spawned and then they disappeared.   They haven't spawned since but one
of the females is turning bright yellow, so I'm hopeful that there will
be another spawn soon.

As for my water conditions when they spawned. pH of 6.8, 60ppm hardness
and a temperature of 76F.   Since moving into the new apartment I put
all my apistos tanks into the second bedroom.   Hell the reason for
getting a 2 bedroom was to make the second bedroom a fish room.
Anyways, I don't turn the light on in there alot, one of the shop light
over one of the racks in on for about 7 hours a day and this is all the
light the room gets except for natural light that comes in through a
side window.   So basically the room is fairly dark, which I thought
might be to the liking of the apistos and killies that are in there.
Nothing else was special, I guess they were just ready to spawn when
they did.   I'm assuming the fish are around 1 year old now.   They were
unsexable when I got them, but then again Bitaeniata are a little more
harder to sex when little then some other species.

John