Re: how much RO water

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> Mike Wise writes:
>
> <snip>> If you are using it to produce water for blackwater species, I would
> use
> > straight
> >  RO and add peat or some sort of blackwater extract.
>
> So what if I'm using DI?

It should work about the same.

> Can I use it straight?

I don't think anything can handle distilled water straight. Of course such water
will react to minerals already in the tank, so it won't stay that way for long.

> And for
> Whitewater/clearwater fish like aggies and cacatuiodes- do I need to add
> something to it, or would peat still be appropriate?

You probably won't want to waste distilled water just for these. Just some
distilled to your tap water until you get the hardness you want. Like you said,
get your preferred hardness and then set the pH.