Tank Decoration

I'm about to set up a 55 gal show tank in the family room.  I want it to
look as natural as possible, and want to include some wood.  I've always
been impressed with (and envious of) the grape wood that pet stores always
have for sale for vivariums.  It's wonderfully contorted and very
attractive.

The question is:  Is the stuff safe in the aquarium?  Has anyone used this
wood in your tanks, or been warned not to?

I'm leery because I once nearly killed some fish by putting the wrong kind
of wood in the tank.  Fortunately, a large water change and removal of the
offending wood brought them back quickly.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Scott