Re: Curviceps and Cockatoos

Chris & Paula wrote:

> Newbie to dwarf SA cich. here.
>
> I really like the dwarf SA cichlids but ofcourse as with alot of
> places in the US my water is hard with a ph around 7.5 to 8 I think.
> So, I have been reading and searching for some that could live and
> possibly breed in my water.  I am just to busy to mess with ph and RO
> units.  Besides the added expense.  Maybe when I retire :)
>
> I was thinking about trying L. curviceps and apisto cockatoos.  I am
> pretty sure the curviceps will be fine but will they breed?  Will the
> cockatoos live and breed?  Could I drop ph temporarily to get them to
> breed?
>
> Also what temps do you recommend?
>
> Dont tell me to read old posts and the krib, i have read all i can
> find and I have looked, I just want a response from someone (a real
> person) who has raised dwarf SA in higher pH and hardness.  If I dont
> get a response I guess I'll assume to not bother and go back to
> african rift lake that like my water :)
>
> Also looking for any other suggestions besides curvicep and cockatoo.
>
> Thanks

My experience is based on my local water, pH 7.4, 140 ppm. cacatuoides
breed like rats in it, as have the wonderful Nanacara anomala,
Microgeophagus altispinosa, most regani group apistos I've kept, apisto
eunotus and the sp. 'rotpunkt' group of apistos. Everything else has
needed some water doctoring for breeding.
The West African standard P. pulcher has also been easy.

-Gary