Re: Dwarfg breeding aggression

Chris & Paula wrote:

Ok, one more newbie question for tonight.  Say I get Dwarf SA chichlids to breed.  Will the couple terrorize a 55 gallon tank so that I could only keep one species or could I have a couple different dwarf species breeding in the same 55 gallon with lots of hiding places.  Like cacatoos or and curviceps for example. :)

  Just wondering because I had a couple kribs (pelv. pulcher) that started breeding within a few minutes of putting them in my 55 gallon tank and within a couple days I saw one rip the gill off a Ram!  I don't mind having a species tank with dithers if I have too. So, in a a nut shell, will a lot of these dwarves kill other while in breeding mode even in a 55 gallon tank?

This depends on the species. If I were to choose 2 species, cacatuoides & curviceps make an ideal group. They handle the same water conditions and breed in very different ways and in different parts of the tank. They don't seem to consider each other competition. They usually get along OK in larger tanks.

Mike Wise