Re: Cacatuoides set up question

Slackananda wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently become interested in apistos after reading a lot of great
> info at The Krib. I bought a pair of cacatuoides at my LFS, but
> unfortunately the male died the next day. (All of the other males at the
> store died too, so they gave me my money back, but all the females were
> fine......) The female lives in a community tank and has become my favorite
> fish. I love the way she maneuvers so delicately compared to the other fish.
>
> I have a twenty gallon set up that I want to breed cacatuoides in. It is
> also my first attempt at keeping live plants, and has been doing great for
> about six weeks. It's fairly densey planted with a cave-like piece of
> driftwood and two half coconut shells. The current inhabitants are a dozen
> ghost shrimp, two otos and five marble hatchetfish. PH is 6.6, temp 80
> degrees. I don't know what the hardness is, but I hear the local water is
> fairly hard. I can do water changes with RO water if needed.

Will,

Your conditions seem fine. I'd bet with all the plants that your hardness is OK,
too. A. cacatuoides can breed and raise fry in fairly hard water ~10dH.

> My question is, how many cacatuoides should I get for this tank. A pair? A
> male and two females? Could I get away with more even? I'd be grateful for
> any comments and general advice.

I would keep it to a max of 1 male and 2 females. Experienced aquarist can
probably get away with more, but you would be courting trouble doing it. Even 2
females can be a problem in such a small tank if you have 1 very dominant female.

> The hatchetfish stay right at the top of
> the water, so I don't think they'll be a problem. Will otos disturb
> breeding cacatuoides?

 Yes, they are an excellent target/dither fish. They will also let you know if
your water is having problems. The otos should be OK, too, but might work on the
eggs at night.

> Finally, I would be grateful for pointers to a good source for these fish.
> The clerk at the LFS said they only get cacatuoides in once every six
> months or so, and I can't wait that long!!!

There are many sources for this fish around the country. Check the ASG
Apisto-Emporium, ACA Trading Post, and the internet for sources. The Krib has
some good links. They will cost a lot for shipping if you are only buying a
single pair, so if there is someone is offering them within a 4 hours drive of
your home it might be worth the trip going yourself.

Mike Wise