Re: Cacatuoides set up question

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 19:44:25 -0600, Slackananda wrote:

Hi Will,

My breeding experiences with apistos has been short, but successful.  I have
found that if you use a 10 gallon tank for a pair that do spawn, all other
creatures in the tank will be harrassed by the pair of breeding fish to
protect their fry.  Sometimes to the death.

The cacatuoides that spawned for me were in a 20 gal, heavily planted tank.
I had seven glowlight tetras, six ghost shrimp, a small SAE, three otto cats
and a peckoltia brevis pleco.  The ghost shrimp were be beat to their
deaths.  Two of the glowlight tetras and the SAE escaped through the small
opening around the heater.  I removed the rest of the fish.

Plecos are not recommended for breeding tanks, however.  But the cacatuoides

didnot bother the pleco and the pleco did not bother the fry at all.  The
pleco would eat the frozen shrimp right along with the fry and parents.  I
was lucky I guess.  Later I was informed by members of this list to remove
the pleco.  So I did.

Anyway, good luck!
> Hello,
>
> I have recently become interested in apistos after reading a lot of great

> info at The Krib. I bought a pair of cacatuoides at my LFS, but
> unfortunately the male died the next day. (All of the other males at the
> store died too, so they gave me my money back, but all the females were
> fine......) The female lives in a community tank and has become my
favorite
> fish. I love the way she maneuvers so delicately compared to the other
fish.

> I have a twenty gallon set up that I want to breed cacatuoides in. It is
> also my first attempt at keeping live plants, and has been doing great for

> about six weeks. It's fairly densey planted with a cave-like piece of
> driftwood and two half coconut shells. The current inhabitants are a dozen

> ghost shrimp, two otos and five marble hatchetfish. PH is 6.6, temp 80
> degrees. I don't know what the hardness is, but I hear the local water is

> fairly hard. I can do water changes with RO water if needed.
>
> My question is, how many cacatuoides should I get for this tank. A pair? A

> male and two females? Could I get away with more even? I'd be grateful for

> any comments and general advice. The hatchetfish stay right at the top of

> the water, so I don't think they'll be a problem. Will otos disturb
> breeding cacatuoides?
>
> Finally, I would be grateful for pointers to a good source for these fish.

> The clerk at the LFS said they only get cacatuoides in once every six
> months or so, and I can't wait that long!!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Archives"!

Francine in MD