Re: yellow aggies (wasRe: will the real A. agassizi Tefe please stand up?)

Steven,

The fish you are talking about (p. 120, top) is the probable lower Amazon form
mentioned in the last post. The gold aggie (p. 121, bottom) is apparently a middle
Amazon form. (For those who have Koslowski's book and want an English translation, I
can provide one.)

Whether or not it is a valid A. agassizii (same as the holotype) right now depends
on if you want to split up the species. A. agassizii, as it is presently recognized,
is a species with an extremely wide distribution pattern. There is a good
possibility - especially if you're a "splitter" - that some color forms and odd
shaped populations represent separate species. We may be dealing with a
super-species that has many closely related sibling-species (present day taxonomy
doesn't like the idea of subspecies). Koslowski  recognizes over a half dozen "cf.
agassizii" forms. This is why I prefer to keep populations pure and not mix
specimens from different locations. This, of course, doesn't apply to domestic forms
developed for enhanced color.

Mike Wise