Re: A. sp. Rotkeil & A. sp. Miua

Mike,
Thanks for your great and thoughtful reply to my questions. I have read
the intro chapters of Mayland and Bork on the history of describing the
genus, which has proved useful as well. Another question that is
actually a bit out of my depth, but I'll ask it anyway. Has anyone
undertaken DNA studies as a way of comparing species? I assume yes, as
this seems to be a critical component of all taxonomic study today. I
volunteer with studying migrating raptors (birds of prey) and we have
folks using DNA to study relatedness who will eventually look at it with
regard to nesting location and habitat. This is a twist that is
different than studying Apsitos, where you know the collection point.
With birds you don't often know where they come from (obviously... they
fly about a bit). With clear species of raptors, color variations are
called "morphs". In other species, regional variations are often called
races now (like with Peregrine falcons and merlins), as the term
sub-species is no longer in favor. The bird world also has its lumpers
and splitters, though apparently birders hate when two previously
separate species are combined; they lose one species from their "life
list". Anyway a very fascinating area. Sorry to be so off topic.

-Dan