cf. vs. aff.

<< "cf." is Latin for "confer", meaning "compares with". For example, A. cf.
 agassizii [Madeira] is a species from around Porto Vehlo, Brazil. In most
 respects it "compares with" the holotype quite well. There are certain
features,
 however, that indicate that it might only be a sibling species closely
related to
 A. agassizii. A half century ago, this form might have been considered a
 subspecies of A. agassizii, but modern taxonomy doesn't like the "subspecies"
 idea anymore. Since we don't know at this time if this is a separate species
or
 just a slightly abberent population of A. agassizii, we list it as A. cf.
 agassizii.  >>

how exactly cf. differs from affinis?  and what are they suggesting we use
instead of subspecies?

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA