Re: Nannochromis tranvestitus

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Frauley/Elson wrote:

> As usual, I agree with Helen. All I'd add is a question for Lilia. What
> are your water conditions?
> This species does not  adapt well to changes from their natural
> conditions. If you have the right water, they should breed. Mine liked
> whiteworms for a few days before they'd spawn. You need to have a female
> with a distended purple belly. Even with that, soft acid water was the
> key to getting things going with them.
> Gary

Probably you are right about another female, I got somewhat sentimental
and did not think about possible consequences of her deformity.
The water is right, I guess. It is soft (RO, peat) and acid (around pH
5)(our water is rock hard, but all fish I love are soft-water... lots of
work!). I have them for about 2 weeks now, in normal female belly is not
distended, but surely more purplish since she is here. Caves, vegetation..
The only thing they lack is a substrate to dig. I guess I should move
them, or add the substrate?

Lilia