RE: unexpected fry

Andrew,   I would suggest a substrate of Fluorite by Seachem. It is kinda
expensive but very attractive and great for plants.

-----Original Message-----
From: afaust@ghcp.com [mailto:afaust@ghcp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 9:24 AM
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: unexpected fry

Hi all, just a quick note to share my recent experiences:
	I'm moving to my recently-purchased house, so last night I started
transferring my A.sp.'rio mamore' and their companion silver-tipped tetras
to a 10-gal tank for transporting the 15 blocks to my our place. I got all
the big rocks and driftwood out, and while chasing down my female apisto I
was suprised to see a whole gaggle of babies, of varying sizes. I've known
the momma was hiding for quite some time, I even saw her one day with a
couple of fry. But I've been very busy and haven't had the time or
inclination to separate them out, so I figured they all became lunch for the
larger fish. The other consideration is, due to my preoccupation with other
things in my life, I haven't cared very well for my tank - i.e. no water
changes for a long time. I was feeling pretty bad about that until I saw all
those babies yesterday.
	So anyway, I'm wondering how to catch all the little buggers. I've
fashioned a trap out of a plastic bottle with an inverted top, but I'm not
sure how to induce them to enter. Frozen bbs?
	Also, I've now got the chance to start fresh with my 25gal, so I've
decided to do away with all the rocks, and stick with driftwood and plants.
Going to start using a big sponge filter too. I'll lose some of the visual
drama, but cleaning the tank ought to be easier. I'm also going to get a
little clay pot for the momma; I've seen her patch of eggs only once with my
current setup. Any suggestiong on the 'ideal' substrate? This is to be a
living-room tank, so a bare bottom is probably not desirable.
	The beauty part of it is, the 10gal that I 'had' to buy to transport
the fish in, can now become my fry growout tank! What a coup!

Archives"!