Re: leaf litter wonders

As a possible alternative to oak leaves:

Several years ago when living in the San Francisco area, Brian Wolinski
suggested magnolia leaves.  They were working great for him, so I tried them
and was very pleased with the result.

I'd suggest using the dried-up, old brown leaves that accumulate under the
trees.  They are sturdier than oak leaves and, I believe, last longer under
water.  They also have sort of a tropical look.  They tend to curl a little
bit and make lots of hidey holes and caves for the apistos.

I must be getting old; I can't recall whether they sank immediately, or
whether we boiled them first, but getting them to sink to the bottom did not
present a problem.

Scott