Re: leaf litter wonders

Mike's advice here is, as always, excellent.  When you try anything new in
your tanks, go into it slowly and carefully.  It's amazing how often
something that works for one person can cause disaster for another, in a
different situation.

I just recently tried to set up a 'natural aquarium', lots of plants, no
filter, etc., as advised by a number of internet writers.  It sounded very
appealing.  But what a MESS!  Plants died left and right and very cloudy
water.  I had a bacteria bloom (I think!) that was so intense, I was afraid
it might jump the tank and spread through the house!  I now have a filter
running in the tank, and it's starting to do better.  The trouble with
trying new things in the mini-environment of an aquarium is that even very
small differences in parameters can cause very different outcomes.  It
almost gets to where you hate to share ideas, because what worked well for
me might not work for the next person that tries the same thing.  I suppose
all we can do is share what little we all know, carefully try out each
other's ideas, and hope that the sum of all the parts will help us move
forward.

I'm sorry I can't say what variety of magnolia leaves we used; sorry for my
ignorance.  One thing I can say is that they were very old, very dead, and
very well aged.

Scott