Re: Roger's thoughts

At 02:05 PM 7/12/99 -0500, James wrote:

>The longer the lead time we allow ourselves (within reason, of course), the
>better this can be. We can do "press packages", contact lists for online
>forums, stores, clubs, etc. I would like to see notification in FAMA and AFM
>well in advance of an entry deadline. I'm sure that we will be able to get
>the support of both Don Dewey (FAMA) and Kathleen Wood (AFM).

Mary Sweeney at TFH is also very organized hobby oriented.  She ran a piece
on the BAS Home Show for me many years ago.  I can't imagine she won't
support us the same way.

>I think that we have to have _some_ judges from among the memberhip of the
>AGA. But I'd like to see the "judging pool" drawn from a much wider
>sphere....
>
>art critics
>landscape architects
>landscaping gardening experts

I'm not sure these people would have enough background to be able to make
sense of what makes "sense" in a planted tank.  While aquarium people would
be able to tell true aquatic plants from the Hemigraphis that was poked in
at the last minute for color, these people wouldn't.  Likewise, that
planted tank full of bright blue Malawi Cichlids would look awesome... for
the first few hours.  Do we really want tanks like that to count?

>Don Dewey, Editor of FAMA

Judging from the editorial material Don runs in the magazine, I'm not sure
I'd trust his opinion on planted tanks.

>International input - I'd like to have judges from places other than the
>U.S./Canada. What about:
>Claus Christensen, from Tropica;
>Christel Kasselmann, author of Aquarienpflanzen;
>Amano;
>Satoshi Yoshino and/or Doshin Kobayashi, authors of The Natural Aquarium.

I'm pretty sure I could talk Claus into it.  I know some of the people at
ADA, but since Amano himself doesn't speak English, I haven't corresponded
directly with him.  OTOH, Neil has met him.  Claus knows Christel well, and
I think I could get him to get in touch with her for us.  Another thought
is Kaspar Horst.  He's retired from Dupla, but still is editor of Aquarim
Heute.  I know him well enough to ask too.

Karen