Re: Roger's thoughts

Roger, for the moment I'm not going to address your earlier post concerning
the material we might approach the AGA MC with (but I will - I just want to
think more about it first...)

However, you made some excellent points in your last post which I can
provide feedback on...

> The contest appears to be an excellent promotional opportunity for AGA.

Yes, in this I heartily agree, and I'm sure that we are not alone in
thinking this way.

> To this point the internet orientation of the contest has been pretty
> inherent.  As long as we keep it on line I think the costs will remain
> low.  If we expand the contest to allow off-line participation the
> costs will probably rise.

Well........, yes you _do_ have a point there... but if as Karen has stated
the AGA MC would be willing to cover the costs to ensure that this an
inclusive contest (open to all - with or without access to the Internet)
rather than exclusive, I see no further need to worry about it (the cost
issue...). Remember that while ideas might generally start in one arena,
they don't necessarily have to _stay_ solely in that arena.

> Requiring internet access for participation is a small requirement.

Yes, you would think so, wouldn't you? However, I have many years of
experience in dealing with with the "transition" from traditional media to
more electronic forms. As some of you may know, I have worked for a number
of years in the Canadian civil service. When I started in the mid-80's,
"computer" meant the mainframes which were located in Ottawa. Each office
had numerous "dumb terminals" scattered about, for staff to obtain
information from the databases maintained on the "big iron" when necessary.
About six or seven years after I stated, PC's started to show up in
increasing numbers but they were usually relegated to secretaries and word
processing - program management staff and senior managers still relied
almost exclusively on hard copy records. I was eventually selected and
trained to help phase in a complete shift in how we did our business -
everything was to be done via networked computers hooked up over private
secure lines directly into the mainframe databases. No hard copy records
would be kept after one year. Today, there is a powerful PC on every desk,
from the Director on down to the mail-clerk. Everyone is hooked together,
and those needing instant access to information located on the mainframes in
Ottawa are only a few keystrokes away. E-mail and Tele-Confrencing are taken
for granted.

However, the transition from one paradigm to the other was far from easy. In
general, the younger staff had a much easier time of it - they were used to
computers and were able to adapt easily. But I spent many tearful (really!)
afternoons with very senior management people, who resisted every training
session I gave them. (B.T.W., the tears were theirs, not mine...). they just
could _not_ or _would_ not, make the mental switch. They knew they had to,
in order to do their jobs effectively, but some just never made it, and
ultimately retired...

We can never forget that the reach of the AGA (and of the hobby it caters
to) goes far beyond this artificial community of electronically joined
computers. The rapid growth of  computers and the development of the WWW
will one day be viewed as momentus a change in society as the Industrial
Revolution was several hundred years ago. Those of us who are riding along
on the crest of the wave have a great view, but we shouldn't lose sight of
the poor buggers who are getting swamped or swept aside as the wave
advances. Computers and easy computer access is STILL a privelage that only
relatively well to do people enjoy (the poorest North American is probably
better off than the average person from the third world). I've _seen_ the
line ups at the Toronto Reference Library for access to the free computer
access that they offer.... there are a lot of people who still can't afford
a ticket on this train...

Additionally, there are a lot of people who chose _not_ to board the train
at all.

The aquarium hobby is very popular all over the world. It is relatively
inexpensive (it can be, just ask Steve P.) and it is enjoyed by people of
all ages. The _plant_ segment of the hobby, at least in North America, is
still a miniscule part of the hobby. We should be doing everything in our
power when organizing this contest/showcase to make sure that we don't
exclude _anybody_ from being able to participate. Karen's insistence that we
structure this to ensure that no one is excluded is a point of view that I
fully agree with - even if it _does_ make it a bit more cumbersone and
complicated to organize.

> interests.  Maybe it's harsh, but I think the cost of allowing those
> people equal access to the contest will be prohibitive.

I'm afraid on this point we'll have to agree to disagree...

Erik has the ability and has volunteered to accept submissions in various
formats, both traditional prints and slides as well as more modern
electronic media. Numerous folks have offered to help with the job of
scanning in prints and slides should that job become too great a burden on
Erik alone. My concerns over material moving through multiple hands can be
balanced by our using registered mail or other secure forms of transport, as
well as by everyone taking extra care. Karen, on behalf of the AGA MC, has
_intimated_ (I would not expect confirmation at this point in time) that any
costs asociated with accomodating traditional media would be gladly borne by
the AGA.

So I see no reason for us to worry any further about submission formats. We
can accept photographic prints, slides and transparencies, electronic
images. We have the resources to deal with all three and the cost to the
organization (AGA) will, or at least _should_ be compensated for by the
exposure the organization hopefully should receive in the process.

But while _submission_ of enteries will be open to all formats, the actual
judging can be done online (or via CD-ROM) by the various judges. This is
not excluding anybody (except perhaps, our choice of judges). Also, the
display of the entries in an online forum (the AGA website) is not excluding
anybody, especially if at least _some_ photos are also published in TAG, and
perhaps other print magazines (subject to editorial acceptance of course),
and being made available on CD-ROM. In none of the photo contests I have
ever entered which were International in character, was I able to view ALL
of the enteries which were submitted, and I usually had to buy a magazine to
see the winning photos. I doubt that _anyone_ entering a contest which
doesn't require an entrance fee expects to receive a full colour glossy book
with all of the other submissions _for free_. If they do, they're fools.

Our putting the material on the WWW will go a long way to ensuring that
anyone who really _wants_ to see the material at least has the option of
tracking down a computer which will allow them access to the material.

> On to other things:
> Schedule:
>
> As Robert Hudson pointed out, the timing of the contest is fairly
> important to promotions.  I think promotion is an important aspect because
> I want to see the broadest participation we can get at a reasonable cost.
> Also, promotion is good for AGA.
> I suspect some folks on APD will be distressed at having the contest that
> far in the future.

After George Booth and Wright Huntly made their comments, I'm not sure I
really give a damn about distressing "some" folks... <g>

I think that Robet's ideas for promotion are great. Also, when I look over
the geographic distribution of the people here, and the enthusiasm everyone
seems to be showing, I think that we can hope to inform every aquarium
society in North America at least.

(Jose, you are gonna be one busy dude, what with covering ALL of South
America....hehehehe)

The longer the lead time we allow ourselves (within reason, of course), the
better this can be. We can do "press packages", contact lists for online
forums, stores, clubs, etc. I would like to see notification in FAMA and AFM
well in advance of an entry deadline. I'm sure that we will be able to get
the support of both Don Dewey (FAMA) and Kathleen Wood (AFM).

Speaking of Y2K issues.... last night (over maybe one too many beers in my
local bar....), I started musing over possible names for this thing...... I
_know_ that the century _really_ doesn't roll over until Dec. 31, 2000 (2001
is the first year of the 21st centuary), but with all of the "millenium"
hype, perhaps we should join the tide and incorporate the term into the
title in some way.... just a thought...

> Judging:

I think that we have to have _some_ judges from among the memberhip of the
AGA. But I'd like to see the "judging pool" drawn from a much wider
sphere....

art critics
landscape architects
landscaping gardening experts
Don Dewey, Editor of FAMA
International input - I'd like to have judges from places other than the
U.S./Canada. What about:
Claus Christensen, from Tropica;
Christel Kasselmann, author of Aquarienpflanzen;
Amano;
Satoshi Yoshino and/or Doshin Kobayashi, authors of The Natural Aquarium.