Re: Adjenda Setting

Julius writes:
> As far as sizes, I would say that 640*480 would be the maximum
> allowable size. Obviously everyone should use this size but some
> images might be slightly smaller to allow for cropping of images.

Perhaps I should restate what Karen and James have been saying, which is
that the web is *not* the only end of the contest, but we would also like
to utilize print media such as TAG or a magazine.

In addition, the judges should be able to see some detail.  For a
full-tank shot, 640x480 is (I think) barely passable.  When I use the
digital camera (or shoot video), I have to go in close to individual
plants to get any details.

While we can easily downsample high resolution images to 640x480, the
reverse is not true.  I propose 640x480 should be a suggested MINIMUM for
digital submissions, and there be no maximum.  We'll normalize the size
appropriately for the judges.

Ok, I will agree with your reasoning there. The only reason I mentioned 640*480 was because some of the 1st gen digital cameras didn't go beyond that. I think though that we should use some caution on the specifications in general for this contest because I don't want this contest to be about money. I know to some degree this is unavoidable, but seriously if we have to include low tech people, we have to include low budget tanks. (I am sure we were already thinking along these lines though) :-)

I can already say that I will be submitting some pictures of my modified 20 gallon eclipse setup. It is a low tech setup that will tide me over until I have a more permanent living situation which hopefully should be soon! I have a lot of fancy CO2 equipment and heater cables laying around the house, but because I am in college and frequently move, and because I had the sour investments, I lost the funds for my killer 120 gallon tank that I was planning.

Julius Odian