Adjenda and further comments

Get ready, I'm at the computer again.... <g>

Actually, I'll _try_ to be brief....

First of all I'd like to say a few words about how ideas form and can
develop. When I initially thought of this, it _was_ as a web based
contest/showcase. But as we talked about it, first on the APD and later on
my little slapped together list and finally now on this mailing list
provided by Erik, the idea developed and grew, becoming richer and more
valuable as components were added. Simplicity can be a virtue, but it can
also be missing the boat. Opening things up to be inclusive of prints and
slides as well as electronic images will give us a much wider pool of
potential entries which to showcase. And SHOWCASE is what this is all
about - at least in my mind. Similarly, ensuring that submissions meet some
minimum standard so as to be useful both in print and on the Web is being
inclusive - I don't wish to freeze out anyone who lacks Internet access from
either participating or having the possibility of seeing at least some of
the entries. The planted tank segment of the hobby is too small, especially
in North America, to limit ourselves in that way. Please try to keep an open
mind.

I'm not abandoning my original idea. I've developing it, with your help.

C. Endorsement / Backing

There seems to be some confusion here, although I hope that Karen's recent
posting has cleared it up. I am an AGA member. I envisioned this as an AGA
event. It was initially broached on the APD because of the fact that I am
also on on that forum and the electronic nature of it allows for "instant
feedback". I know that a lot of you are _not_ AGA members and it appears
that some are beginning to resent my insistence that this be structured in
such a way to accomodate the members of that group.

I value the input and the work that each and every one of you is doing here.
Together, I feel confident that we can host one bang up of a show. I think
that it quite possible _can_ become an annual event - provided that the
initial planning is done correctly and methodically.

As has been stated before, the APD exists as electrons in cyberspace. Its a
great vehicle for communication and education, but it has no real physical
reality other than as magnetically charged particles on a hard drive or in
the memory of your computer. The AGA is a real organization that is
respected in a lot of places, both here and abroad. I doubt that there is
_any_ group or organization in the aquarium hobby that is unaware of the
AGA. The support and endoresement that an organization such as the AGA will
give this contest/showcase/festival would be invaluable and will lend much
more stature and will open more doors than we could ever hope for without
it.

Without AGA support how many of the BIG names I mentioned as possible judges
do you think would bother with us? How many international magazines would
publish notification/announcement of this contest? What kind of prizes could
we even _hope_ to offer? (provided of course that we opt to give any at
all). How much would we have to charge people who wish to enter?

Please, no more about AGA involvement. Structuring this event with the aim
of obtaining that group's involvement is a FACT, a done deal. Whether or not
we receive that endorsement is of course another matter, and one which I
have said we shall cross when we come to it.

One issue which forms part of this which had _not_ been addressed fully yet,
but is a consequence of this item, is the issue of ENTRANCE FEES. Please
refrain from frothing at the mouth.... and refer to a separate post which I
am about to make regarding that very issue...

E. Entries - Acceptable Formats

O.K. - I've had my say about a minimum acceptable standard for electronic
submissions.... (some might think _more_ than my say...)
My point is that I want to ensure that entrant's aquascapes are presented in
the _best_ possible light, in _whatever_ venue we choose to display the
images. I acknowledge Erik's vastly superior knowledge and experience on
this point and as _he_ is the one who will be doing the scanning and
conversions I leave it to him to decide _for the group_, how best this
should be handled. I also liked the suggestions Erik has made concerning the
notifications we can give to entrants regarding how the different formats
might reproduce.

So, unless anyone has something absolutely momentus to add, I suggest that
we have beaten that dog to death and we should leave the subject to Erik to
come up with the guidelines. I'm sure that they will be inclusive enough to
satisfy everyone and my concious is clear in the fact that "I told you
so...".

New Adjenda Items - Please hold onto your ideas for new adjenda items until
we have fully discussed and decided upon the ones already on the floor -
this is already threathening to overwhelm some folks and I don't wish to add
to the confusion. We will get to those new topics in good time.

I _really_ like Olga's suggestion that we concentrate on items A, B, C and D
before moving on... and as I have suggested, I say that we leave item E up
to Erik to decide and to formulate - we can always make minor ammendments
later.

A. Nature of the Beast - contest/showcase/whatever
B. Scope of the Beast
C. Endorsement / Backing -
D. Name of the Beast

Olga asked about item C - whether or not this is a go as far as AGA backing.
Without resorting to Karen, let me just say that this is our goal, but we
won't _know_ until we have discussed _all_ of the points I have suggested
and any new ones other people might have and decided, as a group, to send a
formal proposal to the AGA MC. See my earlier comments made yesterday when I
first set the Adjenda.

D. Name of the Beast

Olga and Roger have both added more possibilities. I think that the
following 11 proposed names are sufficient and comprehensive enough for us
to finally make a choice. In order for this to be quick and painless for
everyone, here is how I suggest that we do it:

Cut and copy the list of names and numbers which appear below.
Click on this hyperlink to open a blank e-mail message:
mailto:jpurch@interlog.com
Paste the list into the BODY of the email message.
For the SUBJECT LINE of the e-mail, please use "Contest Name"
Please indicate, in some fashion your top three choices, in order of your
preference.
i.e: I choose as my #1 choice - C, as my #2 choice - D, as my #3 choice - K.
Please give your name at the bottom of the e-mail.
Send it to me ASAP.
I will tabulate the votes and announce the winner and two runner's up.

A.   The Aquatic Gardeners Association On-line Aquascaping Festival
B.   AGA International Aquascaping Competition
C.   AGA International Aquascaping Competition & Showcase
D.   AGA International Aquascaping Showcase & Competition
E.   AGA International Aquascaping Showcase
F.   AGA International Aquascaping Festival
G.  AGA International Millenium Aquascaping Competition
H.  The AGA International Aquascaping Show
I.   The AGA International Aquascaping Show 2000
J.  AGA International Aquascaping Festival 2000
K. AGA International Aquascaping Festival

Tomorrow, I'd like to summarize and finish with the rest of items A-D.

Thanks,