Re: a-d

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, David Engle wrote:

> In that case, I think that the AGA should provide the funds for this without
> complaint.  I'm really tired of hearing about "members" thinking that they
> shouldn't have to pay, but that "non-members" should.  If it's an AGA
> contest and you decide to go that way, more power to you, but I really think
> that it would have a negative impact on AGA recruiting.  I really think that
> if you want to distance yourselves from "non-members", then you should have
> an AGA members only contest.  I hope this doesn't sound like I'm saying that
> your ideas are wrong.  I'm only trying to explain why I don't like the idea
> of having non members pay.  If I were a long-time member, I might feel the
> same as you (especially if this was the first time in quite a while that the
> AGA had done anything.).

Sigh.  I just don't understand this one.  Member discounts happen all the
time. When Big Aquarium Societies hold conventions, the public is invited,
but members usually get a discount rate.  When our aquarium society holds
a home show, the public is invited to enter, but members get a discount
rate.  The Portland club has a different split in the auctions for members
and non-members.  I don't think it's an AGA recruiting policy so much as a
thank-you to those who have already joined.

Would you feel better, for instance, if it said "$5 per entry, $2.50
discount for members?"

In any case, I don't think we should be making this decision yet! It
should be based on whether or not we *need* to charge... i.e., this should
be the *last* item on the agenda, after we've worked out the potential
costs involved.  Could be, as others have pointed out, that it's low
enough that the bill can be entirely footed by the AGA's budget with no
trouble.  I suspect this will be the case.