Re: some possible photo guidelines and hints

At 10:06 AM 7/13/99 -0700, Erik wrote:

> I think we
>should write some guidelines for good submissions, but not limit them.
>I'm starting to think the only limit should be not doctoring the photos,
>no more than 7 per entry, and it has to be of a planted aquarium.
>
>Guidelines I'd include (including some of the ideas presented recently):
>
>       * the photos and accompanying text should be able to illustrate
>your setup to the judges.  If a photo is too blurry or low-res, it will
>not communicate well.  Submit the clearest photos you can, irregardless of
>format.

I'd write, "photos and accompanying text and planting diagram, if included..."

>       * Generally, you may have clearest results for full tank shots if
>you submit slides, negs, or prints.  (We'd like negatives or slides if you
>don't mind parting with them; cheap photo places do a horrible job
>color-correcting prints of my tanks.) High res digital scans or digital
>photos are generally next in quality, and lower resolution or video
>captures least effective.

We can't ask for negatives if we're asking them only to send duplicates.
I'd just warn about potential color correction problems from El-Cheapo Mart.

>       * The preferable format for electronic submissions is good quality
>JPEG, TIFF or other 24-bit color.  Please avoid using GIFs unless you have
>no other means.
>
>[and onto more specific photo hints I'd give]
>
>       * When taking photos of full tanks, use a tripod and the available
>light of the tank....

All the manual SLR stuff  you wrote is good, but we need to give some
guidelins for point and shoots, and fixed focal length one-use cameras too.
 Then there's almost _no one_ who can't participate if they want to.

Karen