Re: electronic format

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Roger wrote:

>The only reason you cite for setting some fairly stringent minimum
>requirements on the electronic form is that you want the material to be
>suitable for publication in TAG.  What does that have to do with the show?

I think James is concerned that if the winning tanks are not represented by
publication quality images, they may not be able to make it into print.  I
suggest that a way around this is to write about the possible advantages,
disadvantages of various formats in the literature, and let people make
their own decisions.  There are certain issues that we can't get around.
(some people don't have the camera equipment or experience to take
excellent photos, and some people don't have computer skills/Internet
access)  My view remains, as it has from the start that we should be as
inclusive as possible, and let the chips fall where they may.  That
_doesn't_ mean that we can't make suggestions that may help people present
their tanks in the best possible light.

>If that reduces the material that might print well in TAG, then so be it.
>As the planning has gone to this point AGA will be the benefactor of quite
>a lot of publicity generated by volunteer labor at no cost to AGA.  They
>should be quite pleased with that and take what they can get as far as
>printable material is concerned.
>
>The contest is for the contestants, no for AGA.

I am a little concerned about the negative tone a few people, not just you,
Roger, have taken toward AGA involvement.  James, as an AGA member,
proposed this as an AGA event.  That he proposed it first on APD was his
choice, and one that I think is fine.  Still, it was his idea, and I will
support his position.  The _AGA AS A BODY_ has not said ONE PEEP about
ANYTHING, on any subject concerning this project.  I am involved because
James E-mailed me personally, as I have had little time to keep up with the
APD recently.  Erik and Paul are involved because they are interested too.

Let me explain what "AGA" is.  It is a group of hobbyists similar to
yourself, ALL volunteers, a VERY FEW of which work very hard to keep the
organization going.  Maybe we don't always do the best job, but we do the
best we can.  This is not some mighty "they", this is us.  If the contest
is for anyone, it is for the MEMBERS of AGA.  Believe me, Erik, James, I
and the other AGA members who will shoulder even a little more work as a
result of this are not doing this for our own sakes.  And the people who
will pay the costs of this contest, (and although I don't think it's going
to be terribly expensive, I didn't see anyone else interested in ante-ing
up)  will be the AGA members.  All AGA programs are funded by membership
dues and book store fees, and the book store is only open to AGA members.
There is no other source of money.  (that's one reason I'm a little
reluctant to let non-members participate completely for free, since the
cost will be absorbed by our dues paying members)

As the Steering Committee Chair for AGA, I am delighted that so many people
are interested and willing to become involved in this project.  But the
project has not formally even been presented to AGA.  I think it's a little
early to be getting huffy over their involvement.

Karen